What causes Cerebral palsy in your child?
Cerebral palsy refers to a group of disorders that are caused by abnormal development of brain or disorder in the development of a child’s brain that affects the muscle movement and coordination. The word ‘cerebral’ refers to anything that is related to the brain and ‘palsy’ refers to weakness. According to the data analyzed by Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, it affects 1.5 to 4 out of every 1000 children worldwide. The disease might be congenital for some babies or develops after birth or during the first year of the baby’s life when the brain is still developing.
Symptoms of Cerebral Palsy
The signs vary from children to children from mild to severe. Common symptoms include:
- Delays in crawling
- Difficulty in speaking and delays in speech development
- Difficulty in walking
- Lack of muscle coordination and stiffness persists
- Excessive drooling and problems with swallowing
- Tremors and involuntary movements
- neurological problems, such as seizures, intellectual disabilities, and blindness
For some children who are born with Cerebral palsy, symptoms tend to appear in a later stage at the age of 3 or 4. Hence early diagnosis and treatment are very important.
Main causes of Cerebral PalsyAsphyxia Neonatorum
During the birth of the baby, when sufficient oxygen is not here for the baby to breathe in, this can lead to this condition which is very fatal and poses a
greater risk of developing cerebral palsy.
- Some of the mutations in genes that are responsible for abnormal brain development.
- When the baby is affected by severe jaundice it is possible to develop this disease.
- Certain maternal infections such as herpes simplex and measles
These are the inflammation occurring in brain tissue and meninges respectively. Meninges are the three membranes covering the brain and spinal cord. When the fluid present in these membranes become infected due to viral and bacterial infections meningitis occur. Similarly, encephalitis is also a viral infection that may take primary and secondary forms.Intracranial hemorrhage
This is a condition in which bleeding occurs inside the skull and brain which requires emergency treatment otherwise life-threatening. Blood clotting occurs in the blood vessel especially when you meet with sudden unexpected accidents or injury.
All the above causes are mainly responsible for developing this disease that should be quickly diagnosed to provide effective treatment accordingly.
Treatment mainly involves the following methods:
- Using assistive aids such as eyeglasses, hearing aids, walking aids or canes
- In taking oral muscle relaxant medications such as diazepam, dantrolene, baclofen, tizanidine or in some cases your doctor may also recommend having Botox therapy.
- Surgery can be done to relieve pain and improve mobility by releasing the spasticity and tightness in muscles. One such method is Selective dorsal rhizotomy (SDR) in which spinal nerves are cut to reduce chronic pain and spasticity.
- Other treatments such as speech therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, and counseling are also conducted.
The child neurology clinic is providing the best Cerebral Palsy Treatment In Gurgaon with a vision of improving and providing better relief for your child's health conditions. Fix an appointment with our doctor or visit our clinic for a consultation.